Notice: JavaScript is not enabled. Please Enable JavaScript so Functions Can work correctly.

Advice for Rentals

The rental process

Applying for a property

When you have found interest in a property you will be given a Tenancy Application Form to complete. You will need to provide copies of identification that values to 100 points (driver’s license, passport, bank statements, recent payslips if employed – if self-employed, ABN number and accountant details, ATM cards and a bill addressed to your current address.)


The rental bond is requested as financial protection for if there is a breach in the tenancy agreement. It will be lodged with the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority. The bond will be held as security in case of property damage or if money is owed at the end of tenancy. When tenants have met the required


The only people permitted to reside on the property permanently are the ones included on the tenancy agreement. If a tenant wants to move in/out, you must notify us in writing immediately however a new tenant will need to be approved through the application process before moving in.

Paying the rent

Rent must be paid before or on the due date by the method stated on your tenancy agreement however if there are any issues with your rent payment, contact your Property Manager as soon as possible. If you fall into arrears, we will need to follow the procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act to collect rent on behalf of the landlord. It is in your full responsibility to make sure that rent is paid on time.


A property condition report is used to determine the state of the property at the commencement of your tenancy. It is also to make sure that you are not held liable to any damages prior to your tenancy.

Routine inspections are done to advise the owner of the condition and if any maintenance is required. This is an opportunity to notify the manager of any maintenance needed at the property. The property manager may also take photos of the property during the inspection.

Repairs and maintenance

If there are any maintenance issues, it is important you inform the office in writing using the maintenance request form and send it through via email or mail. Jobs that require attention from tradesmen require permission from the landlord first. When the landlord has approved, a work order is then forwarded to a tradesmen who will get into contact with you to arrange a suitable time. Any work that has been carried out without office approval may become your liability to pay the account.

Emergency repair  

We will provide you details of who to call when there is a repair however, we ask you to contact the Property Manager first unless it is after hours – then we allow you to contact the emergency contractors directly.

You will be held liable for any issues that are not deemed ‘emergency’. Emergency issues include burst water services, serious leaks, serious electrical issues or anything that is likely to cause injury or inconvenience.

Ending the tenancy and leaving the property

It is required that a written notice is to be given before ending a tenancy. Contact the Makaidlan office to discuss the legal requirements and you will be given a ‘Notice to Vacate’ form in which you will need to fill out and once the property manager has received and reviewed the form, you will be told what to do in order to vacate. Once vacant possession has been established, a bond/final inspection can be completed.

The bond will be returned once established that the rent has been paid, all applicable invoices have been paid and the property is in its original condition as per entry condition report. A property manager cannot complete bond/inspection until vacant possession has been established and all keys have been returned, rent can be paid up until the keys need to be returned.

Breaking the lease

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract and you will need to follow a process to break any tenancy agreement. Contact your property manager to inform them of your intention and you will be forwarded a ‘break lease’ form. The office cannot advertise your property until the form has been filled in and returned. In accordance with the Residential Tenancy Act, you will be required to pay all the costs outlined in your break lease form.

You are required to pay rent and to maintain the property including garden maintenance until a suitable tenant is located. You are responsible for a break of lease fee and a portion of the advertising fees.

First time renters guide

Some information and documentation you should complete prior to moving in:

  • Information booklet
    You will receive an information booklet on renting otherwise your property manager may give you any additional information.
  • Tenancy Agreement
    A tenancy agreement form will need to be completed and signed prior to moving in. You will also need references such as a previous landlord/property manager or an employer.
  • Entry condition report
    An entry condition report must be completed before moving in. This report will show any existing damages with the property. You will be given a copy to sign by either the landlord or your property manager.
  • Bond lodgement form
    A bond lodgement form needs to be signed and will be lodged within your state.
  • Proof of employment
    You will need to show proof that you are employed and will need to provide your last 2-3 payslips and the amount that you are regularly paid.
  • Identification
    You will need to provide some sort of ID ie. Driver’s License or passport.
  • Proof of prior residence
    A copy of gas/electricity bill that is addressed to you.
  • Fees and costs
    You will be asked to pay a holding deposit, key deposits, rental bond and rent in advance.

If you are a first-time renter and you are concerned about proving rental history. The focal things your landlord and property manager will look for are that you are able to pay your rent on time, that you take care of the property and meet the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

Rental Issues

How do I arrange for any repairs to be tended to?

You will need to inform your property manager in writing immediately and some repairs will be considered urgent if your health and safety is at risk.

If that is the case, your property manager will send over a repair person to attend to it as soon as possible.

Repairs that aren’t urgent will be taken care of by your property manager who will organise for when the repairs will take place. You should not take care of the repairs yourself.

If personal items have been damaged on the property, who is responsible for it?

Your personal property is your own responsibility not the landlords. It is advised to cover your belongings with content insurance.

Am I allowed to make any alterations to the property?

Before going ahead with any alterations, you must inform your landlord in writing of what it is you want to do. Something as small as hanging picture hooks will still need approval from the landlord.